Last year I posted 67 articles. This year, Pony Foo only had 34 articles — and five of those were guest posts! This brings the total article count on Pony Foo to 183 — 184 if we count this article. I wish I had time to write more, but when I look back over last year, I guess the lower count does make sense:
- Got married to my wonderful wife Marianela!
- Joined Elastic
- Ran NodeConf Argentina
- Launched Pony Foo Weekly
- Wrote a handful of articles for the Elastic engineering blog
Support for Pony Foo on Patreon dropped significantly, from around ~$200 at the end of last year to around ~$60 this year. Luckily the weekly newsletter is doing pretty well in terms of sponsored links, so that helps keep Pony Foo afloat.
A large part of this improvement in page views is due to search results. Where Pony Foo used to get ~200 organic search clicks per day last year, these days it hovers around ~1500 clicks on week days. This allowed Pony Foo to earn even more page views with way less content being pushed every month.
await, overthrowing ES6 Overview in 350 Bullet Points as the most widely read article in Pony Foo’s lifetime.
Next year, I’m hoping to get back on the habit of writing articles periodically, but coming up with good article ideas consistently is super hard!
I hadn’t read all that much last year, which is the reason why I created the
reads repository on GitHub. This year, I read quite a few books. The following list is sorted in the same order as I read the books, thanks to the repository. I particularly recommend you read About Face, a comprehensive interaction design classic by Alan Cooper; The Sense of Style, a fantastically enjoyable read on what constitutes thoughtful prose; and Elasticsearch The Definitive Guide, a really-well put guide on how
elasticsearch works at an interface level and internally.
- About Face The Essentials of Interaction Design (3rd edition)
- Search Inside Yourself The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness (and World Peace)
- The Accidental Masterpiece On the Art of Life and Vice Versa
- Crossing the Chasm Marketing and Selling Disruptive Products to Mainstream Customers
- Countdown to Zero Day Stuxnet and the Launch of the World’s First Digital Weapon
- The Sense of Style The Thinking Person’s Guide to Writing in the 21st Century
- The New Kingmakers How Developers Conquered the World
- The Innovator’s Dilemma When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail
- Hooked How to Build Habit-Forming Products
- CSS Secrets Better Solutions to Everyday Web Design Problems
- Elasticsearch The Definitive Guide
See you next year with another yearly review!